Saturday, October 12, 2013

Do or Don't: Hanging Photos of Yourself in Your Home

As I'm decorating my new apartment I've been going through photographs and choosing which ones to put up and I've been having a hard time with the idea of hanging photos of myself.  Maybe I'm over thinking this, but it feels borderline narcissistic to hang my own face in my home. 

As I mentioned here I did a lot of traveling this summer.  I have some great pictures with all the friends I made along the way that I plan on putting up, but in a lot of the photos that show off the scenery the best (which makes them some of my favorites!) I'm the only person in the picture.  These are some amazing memories for me and part of me feels like I shouldn't be ashamed to display them just because I experienced them on my own.  I mean, if I were married and traveling with a husband he'd be in the pictures with me and I'd put them up without thinking twice, so is it really fair to me to hide my memories just because I experienced them on my own?

On the one hand, people always hang family photos in their home and for now, I'm a family of one. Why not embrace it?  

On the other hand, it feels extremely self-absorbed and egotistical to put myself, on my own, in a frame.

So far, I've kept the photos of myself off the wall but a final decision is yet to be made.

Any thoughts on the topic would be MUCH appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment