Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chevron Frame Tutorial


The chevron trend is all over lately so I decided to give it a try on an old picture frame that you may recognize from this post here

For this project, you need some painters tape, scissors, a craft knife, acrylic paint in a color of your choice, a paint brush (I use the super cheap spongy kind) and a frame.




Start off with your frame.  I painted this frame years ago for my old bedroom, but it doesn't match my new apartment's aesthetic so I decided to revamp it.  You can also use this same technique on a canvas, tray, table top...whatever you want! Just make sure the surface you use is clean and dry.








Now start taping.  I decided to make an "x" straight through the center to keep things even without having to measure anything.










Now keep adding stripes of tape in a criss-cross pattern across your whole surface.










Here's where it gets a little tricky.  Use your craft knife to cut away the excess tape leaving behind your chevron pattern.  Be careful not to press too hard with your blade or it will damage your surface. Use your fingers or the edge of your craft knife to peel away the excess painters tape until it looks something like this....







Once you have all the extra tape removed, sometimes you have to move around the tape on the edges or add more in certain places to make it look right.  Just use your judgement.









 Now take your paintbrush and cover the whole thing in paint. Technically you only need to paint the parts without tape, but I think it comes out better if you paint it all.









Once the paint is COMPLETELY DRY pull off the tape and there you go!










I currently have mine on display in my living room while I look for the perfect picture to put in it!




Hope you found this helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment